Oswego County Department of Social Services

[Social Services Home] [Oswego County Homepage]

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

woman sewing

If your energy bills are more than you can handle, HEAP may be able to help you heat your home.

The federally-funded HEAP may help you pay for:

  • Electricity
  • Gas
  • Oil
  • Coal
  • Propane
  • Wood
  • Kerosene

Am I eligible?

You may be eligible for HEAP payments if you are a United States citizen or a qualified alien and:

  • Your income is at or below the current income guidelines for your household size;
  • You receive SNAP;
  • You receive temporary assistance (Safety Net or Family Assistance);
  • You receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI); or
  • You live in subsidized housing and pay directly for heating costs.

Where can I apply?

If you are less than 60 years old, call 315-963-5288 to request an application from Social Services. If you are 60 or over, or disabled, apply by mail or call 315-349-3484 to apply at your local Office For The Aging. You may also apply online at the My Benefits website.

What if I have an energy emergency?

People who are eligible for HEAP and have an energy-related emergency, such as a power shutoff or less than seven days supply of heating fuel, may apply for emergency benefits at their local department of social services.

Questions about HEAP?
or call 315-963-5021.